British tennis star Emma Raducanu has revealed she could ‘barely breath’ after spotting her stalker during the Dubai Open.
The 22-year-old could scarcely see the ball as she fought tears having been left cowering behind the umpire’s chair after receiving spotting a figure who had twice approached her off the court, during her second-round match against Karolina Muchova. The ‘fixated’ man had repeatedly offered unwanted attention and was reported to have handed Raducanu a letter and taken photographs.
After being escorted to her match by additional security, Raducanu spotted the man in the first few rows before he was ejected and arrested. The traumatic incident left Raducanu shaken, after she had previously been forced to deal a man visiting her house three times in the aftermath of her US Open win, aged 18.
Now, set to return to the court at Indian Wells for the first time since the incident, Raducanu told reporters of how difficult the moment was for her.
“I was obviously very distraught,” she said. “I saw him in the first game of the match and I was like, I don’t know how I’m going to finish. I literally couldn’t see the ball through tears. I could barely breathe. I was like, I need to just take a breather here.”
The individual has been banned from future tournaments having been spotted early in the match Muchova. Raducanu was unable to recover and fell to defeat in the tournament.
“It was a very emotional time,” Raducanu added. “After the match I did break down in tears, but not necessarily because I lost.
“There was just so much emotion in the last few weeks of the events happening, and I just needed that week off to take a breather and and come here. I feel a lot better.”
Raducanu was uncertain that she would make her return to tennis action so soon. The Briton is set to face Moyuka Uchijima on Thursday in the round of 128, as she bids to get her season back on track.
If victorious, Raducanu will face third seed Coco Gauff after the top 32 players all received byes through to the second round. The young tennis star will need to first overcome an opponent ranked three places above her, but is pleased to have chosen to compete at the tournament.
“I’m very happy to be Indian Wells,” she revealed. “It’s my favourite tournament, outside of the slams. I think being here I feel a lot better.
“I wasn’t necessarily sure if I was going to come and compete so soon after what happened in Dubai but I’m glad I made the decision to come here.”
At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the “Do Not Sell or Share my Data” button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Cookie Notice.